Tuesday, May 22, 2007

An attempt at somewhat intellegent writing

Today, after entering first period, I was assaulted by a sizeable number of readers of this blog. (Consisting of my two friends Jeremy and JT) Between Ms. Loomis bitching at us and the whole senior class, they explained to me that I would be more productive if I wrote a good half page instead of a long drawn out full page. I decided to meet them in the middle, from now on I will attempt no to have eco apocalypse rants that go on for half a page, or me basically repeating how tired I am for pages and pages. I will write one page a day still but it will be good.
With that said I should get back to the post. I am going to try to avoid in all my posts a long boring drawn out description of my day.
Today when I got the mail (after coming home from being downtown with Christa) I found my membership to the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club, for those of you who don’t know, is a grassroots environmental organization. John Muir, a man who was influential in saving trees by making national parks in the late 1900’s, founded it. John Muir also played an early part in trying to save the redwood trees in the book I am reading right now, A good forest for dying (or something like that).
It had a section about the Sierra Student Coalition, which is basically a student organization. It seems like something that I should look into. It might not be nearly as extreme or effective as a more radical group but I think it could reach more students and serve as a launching board for a more radical student group.
After that I sat down and did a very dedicated session of homework listening to Evan Greer, who I think greatly shocked even my left wing parents. I think partly due to his music they all left the house and almost forgot to take me to Tae Kwon Do. When I got there the class was incredibly easy for the most part until the end when we did pushups. After 99 pushups (15,14 to 6) my arms went all weak and I was barely able to get up. This of course got the notice of my Teacher. He stood over me and counted as I did them and by the end I was to weak to go back up.
I got home and went on YouTube to find out that Trevor was the guest editor. YouTube Home Page He has some incredibly cool videos featured and I would be sure to check them out before they all vanish tomorrow or whenever videos vanish.
While on YouTube I looked up some videos of treesits and found the ones that are talked about in my book (okay, this post did turn into an eco-rant, sorry). There was one disturbing one that showed non-deputized climbers working for Pacific lumber doing what amounts to torture to peaceful, nonviolent protestors.
It is really disturbing to think that in a country where freedom of speech and expression is so protected on one would do anything when people are being put through this. I think it shows that Americans really aren’t equal or, like George Orwell would say, some are more equal than others. I think Americans think what human rights do a dirty, pot smoking, tree hugging hippie need. What they don’t remember is that revolutionaries founded our country. They love to say that the founding fathers would believe in this or that. But one thing they did do is fight for a cause.
This means that even if we disagree with a cause we should at least be civil and peaceful while removing people who are peaceful in return.
Goodnight and good luck-
Sam

1 comment:

John Wolohan said...

"This reminds me of a journal that I wrote in third grade"